Nearly 15,000 Indiana Michigan Power customers were without electricity after a storm the evening of Aug. 10.
The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for the area because of rotating winds.
I&M issued the following statement:
“Heavy winds stormed across portions of the Midwest on Monday evening, causing significant damage and disrupting power to tens of thousands of people. Indiana Michigan Power customers were not spared, as the winds caused more than 40,000 customers across I&M’s service territory to lose power. More than 20,000 customers in each of the two states I&M serves were impacted. Storms continue into the night, and additional outages are possible. Before the storms hit, I&M was developing plans for a major storm restoration, based on weather forecasts. I&M has already begun marshalling both internal and external resources to address the storm damage. I&M will execute a methodical plan to safely restore all customers as soon as possible. I&M will provide updates throughout the day Tuesday.
“SAFETY INFORMATION I&M asks that the public please be aware of some potential hazards:
• Downed power lines. Stay away from any downed wires and report them to I&M. You can call us at 800-311-4634, report on our app or website, or call 911.
• Trees could fall or drop limbs at any moment, please look up.
• Standing water could hide debris or even downed wires.
• Roads will likely be wet, slick and covered with debris.
• Traffic lights may not be functioning. Please use caution and be mindful of first responders and utility workers on the roadways.
“I&M encourages customers to use the Indiana Michigan Power app to monitor the status of any outage affecting your home or business. IndianaMichiganPower.com/App You can sign up for text and email alerts on the app or at IndianaMichiganPower.com/Alerts.”
I&M’s outage map is at IndianaMichiganPower.com/OutageMap.