Fort Wayne Rescue Mission Ministries is pleased to name Charis House, in perpetuity, as The Gladys & Carolyn C. Wolf Charis House.
Charis House, a ministry of The Rescue Mission, began serving the community in 1985 as a crisis shelter for women and children. The shelter was first located on West Superior Street then moved to a building on West Washington Boulevard in Fort Wayne. In 2010, a new shelter was built at 431 Fairmount Place, where it still resides.
Charis House provides housing and restorative programs for women and children facing a homeless crisis.
The Christ-centered ministry addresses the real causes of homelessness by connecting women to vital resources and helping them overcome traumas, addictions, job skill deficiencies and financial challenges.
The Gladys & Carolyn C. Wolf Charis House naming follows the recent dedication of The Rescue Mission’s new men’s shelter, located at 404 E. Washington Blvd. The W. Paul Wolf Rescue Mission was officially named in June 2020. The naming of both buildings was inspired by W. Paul and Carolyn Wolf’s significant financial gift to The Rescue Mission’s City on a Hill Capital Campaign.
W. Paul Wolf’s mother, Gladys (Sloffer) Wolf, was born in 1894 in Ari, Indiana, (Allen County) between Churubusco and LaOtto. Gladys graduated from LaOtto High School in 1910 and went on to earn her certificate in teaching from Indiana University, Bloomington, and Tri-State College (now Trine University) in 1915.
Gladys Wolf’s first teaching assignment began in the fall of 1915 at Swan Elementary School in Noble County.
Gladys continued her teaching career in the towns of Avilla, Albion and Auburn, where she married Avilla native, Ervin W. Wolf on June 19, 1924. Ervin and Gladys owned the E.W. Wolf General Store in Avilla for 40 years.
Carolyn C. Wolf, W. Paul Wolf’s wife of 33 years, was born in 1937 to Mr. and Mrs. Harlow Coxe of Des Plaines, Illinois. Following her Maine Township High School graduation, Carolyn earned her Bachelor of Arts in Education from Beloit College of Wisconsin. Carolyn taught elementary school for many years in Des Plaines, a western suburb of Chicago.
W. Paul Wolf honors these two distinguished, strong Christian women, who represent the quality and character of what Charis House represents, both now and in the future.