The trickle-down effect of two retail stores in Angola, Fort Wayne and elsewhere in Indiana temporarily closing due to COVID-19 has caused layoffs at a janitorial cleaning company.
Otis Scott, vice president of human resources for Plano-Texas-based Prestige Maintenance USA, LP, notified the Indiana Department of Workforce Development on March 25 that it would lay off a total of 69 workers statewide. The layoffs are prompted by the temporary closures of J.C. Penney’s and Kohl’s stores, two companies it contracts with to provide cleaning services. The stores are closed until April 1 because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prestige is laying off 44 custodians, 14 lead custodians and 11 porters statewide. The notification was required under the Federal Worker Adjustment & Retraining Notification Act of 1998.
The northeast Indiana region services are affected by the closures of the following stores:
• Kohl’s, 3300 N. Wayne St., Angola
• J.C. Penney, 3701 S. Main St, (US 33), Elkhart
• J.C. Penney, 4201 Coldwater Road, Fort Wayne
• Kohl’s, 1410 Apple Glen Blvd., Fort Wayne
• Kohl’s, 835 Coliseum Blvd., Fort Wayne
• Kohl’s, 10310 Maysville Road, Fort Wayne
• Kohl’s, 3802 Midway Road, Goshen
• Kohl’s, 590 W. 300 N., Warsaw